The Flying Ship

The Flying Ship

Monday, December 12, 2011

No hair, and lots of it.

I was thinking about my hair, and I have a question. Why don't other great apes have hair as long as us? I mean, it's not like orangutans and chimps get regular haircuts, so why don't they all have really long hair? their chosen environments are warm so it would make sense.

Presumably we have some kind of evolutionary advantage associated with our long hair being exclusively on our heads. I conclude that the reason for that would be that our clothes have been keeping the other parts of our bodies warm, and we adapted to that, no longer needing hair where clothes covered us, diminishing its thickness and length. So we must have been wearing clothes as a species for a VERY long time now.


No comments:

Post a Comment