The Flying Ship

The Flying Ship

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Kobo

I mentioned a couple of posts ago that my faithful ereader of many years screen smashed. I'm buying a new one and it's fine.

Many people complain about ebooks, and how they aren't, 'The same,' or they don't, 'Smell nice,' or that they don't, 'feel right'.

What I think they are really talking about is the emotional connection that a person has to a book they cherish. And the emotional connection that I had with my tired old Kobo ereader (that mum bought me from the now defunct borders, because buying books all the time was too expensive) was there. It was real.

I maintain that we should not love the paper of books, but the content of them, and to a person who cares about what a book says, the format it is in is irrelevant . But still, I do feel a twinge when looking at the ruined screen.

T'was too cruel and ironic a fate that your screen smashed when I accidentally dropped the single volume collected works of H.P Lovecraft on you, which is a very real and very heavy book.

Rest easily in silicone Heaven, with all the iPhones from 'will it blend?', exploded 1980's Blackberrys and Casio calculators that got left in jeans pockets when they went through the wash.

Goodnight sweet Kobo. You were as cool a lump of plastic as ever there was.

No comments:

Post a Comment