The Flying Ship

The Flying Ship

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Psychic Football

I've an idea for a new fictional sport. But first I need to do some clarifications of definitions.

When I say 'Football' my idea is with what we Australians know as the game of soccer. It's played with your feet, head and chest - no hands. It's quite tactic based, and very much to do with feint and bluff, as well as aerodynamics of spheres (or whatever shape a football is). The specific physical abilities of the players on the team often varies a fair bit, unlike some types of football Australian's play that just involve big beef steaks that know how to plow other guys over.

Having said all that, I'm sure this would work with basketball, or some other competitive group sports. Certain types of hockey maybe. Water-polo would be nifty. I dunno.

Now, to clarify what I mean by 'psychic'.

There is a character in x-men called 'Charles Xavier' who is called a psychic. He rolls around in his wheel-chair reading people's thoughts, projecting visions, making people forget things they used to know, and most importantly, fighting intense mental battles of wills with other psychically powered individuals. If he has complete control over someone's mind, he can control their every action. He can't see into the future or anything. Just mind powers. That's the kind of psychic power I'm taking about.

So. You produce two teams of eleven football players, all of whom have psychic powers. They play football as they normally would. But they are joined together as teams in unions of interconnected minds. They all know exactly what each other is doing at the time, and they act almost as one organism.

Or they would. If the other team wasn't spending a considerable amount of their concentrated mental energy trying to thwart that interconnectedness.

And vice versa. It is as much a battle of the mind as it is a contest of tactics and athleticism.

Why am I thinking about this at three in the morning? Who knows. But I like the idea of this sport where not thinking about the way you are going to score a goal, and thus not give it away to the goal keeper of the opposite team, is a legitimate tool in winning a game.

Perhaps I haven't explained how it would work in enough detail. But it seemed like something worth sharing before I forgot it.







No comments:

Post a Comment