The Flying Ship

The Flying Ship

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Green Light.

At night time in my house, when my mother is asleep, I turn off all the lights. It's to save power, and to let the house know that it needs to rest.

A while ago, the bulb in my room's ceiling light failed. But the glass of the bulb just sort of fell out, and the metal part stayed jammed in there. I should really get a man in to fix it, but my room is just so messy (I can't get in most of the time, let alone a stranger) and I keep forgetting. Lazy boy.

It's fine though, because I have a bedside lamp that sheds enough light to illuminate my whole room. Or, at least, I did. It failed too recently. Not the bulb, that's fluorescent and it lasts for ten years, but the wiring in the lamp itself.

After coming back into my room in the early hours of the morning, having gone to the kitchen for a glass of water, everything was dark. I didn't want to bump into anything. My laptop computer has a little LED on it, that tells me it's charging when it is orange, and green when it is done. Pretty nifty. I could see only that, resting on my bed amidst the blackness.

So I stepped towards it, and bashed my leg on something hard and sharp, and stepped back again to feel my leg. I had cut it open on the corner a random piece of furniture. I stepped in a different direction and felt the crack of glass, and I felt my foot, yes, it too was bleeding. I tried again, but my knee clicked and the cap popped out. (I have terrible knees). So I sat down on the floor swearing quietly. I kept on looking at that little green LED glowing steadily all on it's own. I thought to myself "If I just keep looking at that little light, my night vison might get better, and I might be able to see where I'm going." 

So I stood there. Looking at the speck. Waiting and waiting.
However, I hadn't plugged the cord in very well. And after a few minutes, it succumbed to gravity, and fell out. 
And the little green light winked into nothing. 

So I sat there in the dark of my room. It wasn't unpleasant exactly. It wasn't really anything. I'm not afraid of the dark like I was when I was a small child. But there was nothing else to do. So, I did nothing. 

Well, I did one thing. I waited for the sun to rise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment