The Flying Ship

The Flying Ship

Friday, January 27, 2012

Reasonable Reasons

It's funny what people find valuable. The way we mimic the people who we find to be unique or interesting. We copy traits and ideas when we form our identities.

I found sometimes people mimicking me. It annoys me, but not because I feel stolen from as much as I feel that people have not used the very tool I did that caused me to make the action in the first place.

Most people find it alarming that someone would carry a knife. Perhaps they fear the potential for a weapon in such an object. I find that the practical upshots of someone, who is otherwise not greatly physically strong, to carry a pocket knife for practical reasons is not only reasonable but intelligent.

Reason is what should drive actions. The use of our reason, our thought, our logic, rather than blind acceptance, mimicry or prejudice. I try always to apply reason.

I have never wanted to defy authority, but experiment with possibilities. I often times I do things because I see no reason not to. And I don't think the God that gave me this brain would judge me for using it in that way.

I sometimes do things that are different to the way others do them. I could pretend that I am just like everyone else, in many respects I am, but I am still different, as are we all from one another, perhaps paradoxically also making me the same. I do things, I feel, always because it has been grounded in some good reason.

I can't be anyone but myself. Even if I changed my appearance and behaviour I would still be myself. Those that dislike it can continue to do so, but until they provide independent reason, and make independent action, just as I have, I refuse to take their judgement seriously.


I expect no less of you than what I have myself done.



No comments:

Post a Comment