The Flying Ship

The Flying Ship

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Plastic Love That Flows Like A River.

It's interesting when people love you. When they sacrifice time they could have with other, cooler people to be with you, to talk to you.

Love is a funny thing. I frequently say I don't believe in it. But it's not that I don't believe it exists, it obviously does, though not as obviously as you might think. I don't believe in it in the same way that I don't believe in, say, Barack Obama.

There are people who don't say, or don't think, "I believe in Barak Obama!" it isn't that they don't believe in his EXISTENCE, they just don't believe IN him.

No, I don't believe in the love that our culture frequently plays upon in movies and books. I don't believe kind of love that takes a bullet dramatically, buys a ludicrous number of roses, cures Alzheimer's in thirty seconds, coughs up sweet words through lungs full of blood, and freezes to death in the Atlantic ocean because there is only one bit of driftwood.

I believe in the kind of love that is dutiful, hard working, the kind of love that is ugly, monotonous, sad, cold and cruel. The kind of love that sacrifices, and puts up with abuse. The kind that staggers and slips and struggles through a torrent of bullshit to lend a hand to you because you need it. The kind of love that gets down on it's knees and scrubs a floor with soap three times a day, every day, for forty years, because somebody has to. The kind that sifts through a baking hot desert, where every grain of sand is a crushing failed attempt, to find the cure to a disease. And most importantly, when there is nothing wrong, doesn't look for ways it can prove anything. It knows.


That's the kind of love I believe in, and it isn't the kind that 'lovers' talk about. It's hideous what kind of horrible burdens people will shoulder, and how long they will shoulder them, in the name of love.

If nothing else, you have to believe they are doing it for a reason. God help them if they aren't.

You can always tell the difference between plastic love and real love.

I'll leave it to you to figure out how.

No comments:

Post a Comment