The Flying Ship

The Flying Ship

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Tear Down, Build up.

Most boys of any age like to see stuff blow up. It's a truth universally acknowledged, and hard to refute. Hey, when cars explode, it looks cool. I don't know why. It just does. The process of making that car looked cool to. The metal shaping, the welding, the magnificent production line that churns out cars at an often alarming rate. Damn cool looking thing.

The act of destruction can be something beautiful. Every time I see the blossoming rose of the atomic cloud with Vera Lynne singing along at the end of 'Dr Strangelove', I'm touched. The wonder of its power is breathtaking. Terrible, certainly, horrifying in its use on human beings, to be sure. But still... It's almost magical to see.

The act of a child being formed in a womb disturbs me. That such a complex, specific and potentially world-changing form could be knit together in such a small amount of time startels and frightens me. But nonetheless, it is fascinating too.

Creation and Destruction are human concepts. It is the way of the world that to assemble something you must disassemble something else. In truth, I find greater satisfaction in the making of something good, than the end of something not.

One can do many things in this life. But a cause for maintenance, healing and crafting is greater than one of senseless hurting. I say things all too often here that, while mainly true, are bitter, saddening, and cynical. But I always feel better when I encourage. And I seek to plant this seed of hope in you now:

Build great things, with the power you have, whatever that talent is. Let the things you would destroy, destroy themselves. If they are as bad as you think they are, they likely will. At the end of the day, the muscles the power your movements will loathe you less, and love you more. I know you can do this, because I know there is good, enough, everywhere.

It is its own reward.



No comments:

Post a Comment