The Flying Ship

The Flying Ship

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Relative Emotion

Legally, I am now an adult. However, the only reason why we have a difference between 'child' and 'adult' is because humans make boundaries around things so that they make sense.

Logically, the only difference between a human brain and a computer complex enough to mimic it totally is that one was crafted by a human, the other was born of one. That is, in practice, no difference at all.

The reason we call one 'a computer' and one 'a brain' is because we made a difference between them. Just like how we made a difference between light and darkness, years and hours, drunk and sober, right and wrong.

There are differences to these things. But if we were not here to name them, they would not exist.

My point is, if I am an adult on the ninth of April 2011, I was an adult on the eighth. And if I wasn't, I'm not now. As with all things, there is no dividing line between 'adult' and 'child' as there is none between 'complex robot' and 'human'. They are just words. It is the meaning and emotion put to those words that give them power.




No comments:

Post a Comment