The Flying Ship

The Flying Ship

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Why Free Will Exists

Let me start my argument by saying, free will cannot exist.

God in his mighty power, knows everything. He is what we call 'omniscient'.

If this is so, that means that he knows every aspect of the future, and the way everything will be.

Because of this predetermined knowledge of God, free will is a concept available to only linear time perspective creatures, that is, us. To us, the future does not exist, and the past is distant. To God it has all already happened, thus our choices are all already made. And they always have been.

Even if you do not believe in God, the way the matter of our universe works also suggests this. That is, the irrefutable laws of physics demands that everything has and will continue to happen in a certain way that is predetermined. A ball falls, it bounces one way or another, not because it has made a choice, but because of it's interaction with the universe. Though our brains are vastly more complex than a single ball bouncing, they still obey the laws of physics. They will make a different chemical reaction, and thus a different "choice" depending upon their interaction with the universe. Choice is an illusion.

However. I believe that the entirety of our existence is one of illusion. Both for spiritual and scientific reasons.

I believe our limited reality is a super imposed virtual world built on top of the true world and universe that is God's ultimate reality.

Albert Einstein proved that time is an illusion, as I stated above, and that all moments happen simultaneously. The only way we can make sense of anything as humans is to limit it. Time is cut into, past, present and future. Infinity is cut into smaller pieces of space we call 'areas' or 'distances'. In actual fact, all places are the same place.

What I am going to say next may seem both conceited and insane. Please don't take it that way. Something Catherine said to me yesterday made me think of this.

I along with certain other people have such a small amount of understanding about the illusions that make sanity possible that one can kind of see the line where they start, as it were. It's not actually that hard. Anyone can do it if they try hard enough. I wouldn't recommend it.

I sometimes have nightmares where my brain is stripped of its illusions just enough to make everything so mad I scream quietly to myself in my own head.

It's like being half in, and half out of something. Because the illusions are still there, shouting at you that 'this is the way the world works!' but at the same time, I can see what is happening. That everything is the same, that all times are the one time.

I imagine that if they were totally stripped from my mind it would be calming. But because those stubborn human thoughts are still present and fighting against it well... Metaphor time.

it's sort of like sewing a dog and cat together and trying to put them into a dog/cat show. It's alive, the dog and the cat are both still alive, they are struggling against each other mewing and barking in pain. The sewing is evident, and what you've done provokes a certain reaction.

i.e: A total abomination that everyone thinks should die.

THAT reaction I have to the abomination in my head is the thing that makes me scream quietly.

The moral of the story is that free will does exist, in the same way that events happen in order, and Sydney is not in Canberra. In a totally human way. It's not like we are forcing these incorrect concepts on anyone. They are simply necessary lies to make life possible. They are the bricks and mortar that make life possible. And they are just as real as bricks and mortar.





No comments:

Post a Comment