The Flying Ship

The Flying Ship

Monday, November 22, 2010

Re: "Why this world isn't illusion." Jason Drake

Original post here:


I know that this wasn't your major point (It being that sensation and emotion justifies reality's existence on a personal level) but I thought I'd mention it.

You say that you are, at least in the physical sense, your brain.

I would argue that our body is as much ourselves as our brain is. Flesh has memory. My hands have learned how to sculpt clay, manipulate paint brushes, type on a key board, press the frets of a guitar and all manner of other things quite independently of my brain, or at least mostly independently.

If you cut of my hands and replaced them with the hands of, for random example, a female travel agent or your hands with those of a robot or suchlike you and I would be diminished as people.

I would go so far to say that if one placed my brain in the body of the female travel agent, I would no longer be Joel and that if one placed your brain in the body of a robot, you would no longer be Jason. Rather an amalgamation of Joel-and-woman or Jason-and-robot.

No comments:

Post a Comment