The Flying Ship

The Flying Ship

Saturday, August 21, 2010

"Denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism"


How and when did you decide against the military service?

When I was very young.


Why can't you arrange military service with your conscience?

I think that it is wrong to kill or hurt people to prevent them from doing the same.


What prohibits you from serving in the military?

The knowledge that I would be required to kill someone.


Do you fear having to fight, or to use force?

I don't fear having to fight, or to use force. I have fought for things before in a nonviolent manner. Force in itself is not evil, it is the purpose to which that force is put which defines it. I fear having to kill.


Do you want to abolish the army?

I understand the necessity to have it. If I could, I would abolish all military, but abolishing just one nation's army would only expose it to violence from other countries.


What do you think about the phrase "We have the army to defend us, not to kill others"?

I think that it is a flawed statement. It doesn't matter what it is that the army is for, what matters is what it does. Yes it defends us. But it also kills innocent people.


What would you do if you were attacked?

I would attempt to run, if possible, surrender and then welcome the violence against myself, as I think that it would be equally wrong to fight back.


What do you feel when you see that others are attacked?

I feel great sadness.


What is violence, exactly?

It is the physical attempt to hurt or kill another being.


Would you rather experience losses than having to use force?

It would depend on how great the losses are but in general, yes.


What do your beliefs say?

They say, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart" and "Do to others what you would have them do to you"


Would you describe yourself as a pacifist?

Yes.


What basic values, besides objecting to violence, do you have?

Being kind to others, and being ever watchful of one's self and one's actions.


What entity gives you the certainty that your thinking and your feelings are right?

Myself. And God. But if God did not want me to think, He would not have given me a brain. So firstly, I ask myself what is right. We cannot simply expect God to provide all answers. He expects us to do more than pray.


Why didn't you choose to go into prison if your conscience is that strong?

Buy going to prison, I submit defeat, and that I am wrong or cowardly, deserving of punishment. I am not defeated, only without violence.


Why didn't you use medical reasons to avoid military service?

Because I am a fit, young individual capable of fighting, but unwilling to do so.


What do you actually do to further peace, or is your attitude the only peaceful thing about you?

I attempt to act the virtues of generosity, kindness, and spreading hope.


Who is in charge of defending your children in case of an armed conflict?

I am in charge of helping my family flee to a safe location.


Do you live your ethical principles inside your family?

I attempt to, yes.


What books do you read?

I read many books, mostly fictional, but for the purposes of this question the most important would probably be The Bible.


What do you demand from yourself?

Patience, honesty and willingness to put into action that which I speak.


Are you merely a leader, a follower or a loner?

My preference is to be alone. But I am willing if pressed to perform in either of the other roles.


No comments:

Post a Comment