The Flying Ship

The Flying Ship

Monday, July 26, 2010

Choices, Choices.


So today I made a decision, and even though failure was certain regarding my choice, I made it anyway. And when I failed I was deeply, greatly wonderfully satisfied with myself in a way that I never have been before.

Because I had never done that particular thing before. I could have not done so. I could have just gone with it without fighting the way I always do and probably will do ever after now.

But just once I made a choice and screwed the system.

We all have the capacity for choice. And we always have a choice, no matter the situation. But sometimes the consequences for our chosen action are so great that, given a choice we will nearly always choose just one, the other totally disregarded.

We have the choice, when driving our car, to intentionally crash it into a pole. But we don't, not because the choice isn't there, but because it has great consequences.

We have the choice to spend all our money on chocolate.

We have the choice to burn all our clothes.

We have the choice to throw a brick through a window.

We have the choice to run out of class to the nearest pub.

We have the choice to do anything.

I chose that other unchooseable choice today. And I loved it, and its consequences will be wonderful.

Wonderful bad, just to clear things up.

"If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise."

- Robert Fritz

No comments:

Post a Comment