The Flying Ship

The Flying Ship

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Non-Conformity.



Quite some time ago, it was at the end of term, I was at Tuggeranong interchange. Also there were some other people of my acquaintanceship, with their long boards (like a skate board for those who may not know). They where discussing the pros and occasional cons of their loverly long boards. I said this to Liam who was there:

"Wow, now I really want a long board, so I can be all like everyone else."

Liam (And I hope he is reading this) replied with:

"You know, for a non conformist, you really like conforming"

I laughed and said, "I'm not a non-conformist!" thinking he was poking fun at me.

He then rattled off a list of things that I have done,

"I'm Joel and I wear only black,
I'm Joel and sing in public places,
I'm Joel and I carry a knife,
I'm Joel and I'm going to grow just one thumbnail,
I'm Joel and for lunch I'm going to eat sauce!"

For a moment I stood there slightly dumbfounded. I was genuinely surprised. I had indeed eaten a can of spaghetti sauce for my luncheon not five days prior. All the other allegations are also true.

However it really surprised me that he thought of me in that way. It wasn't my intention. I have never set out to be deliberately different, I just do things, and it turns out that way.

If you don't do something, just because everyone is, or you do do something, because everyone isn't, really you are just filling a necessary groove yourself. So, intentional non-conformism is really just a new type of conformism.

If everybody started singing in public places, I would in no way stop. And if everybody grew their hair long, I would not cut mine. And Goddamn it, if everyone drank coles cola, I would damn well still drink it. Unless the increased demand made it more expensive. Then I would choose a cheaper brand. It all tastes the same anyway.

The point is, is that true non-conformity is being yourself regardless of whether everybody else is or not. And I would say that is what I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment