The Flying Ship

The Flying Ship

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Marvelous Devices.

I recently purchased an iPhone 4. And some peoples reaction to that has been that I am a "Conformist" . Forgive me if I think this, but I would have to say that if there is one thing I am not, it is a conformist. Just this one time, can't I just be like the other people?

Anyway, it got me to thinking. The quote goes:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

The first ever computer filled a whole room, and was able to perform fewer tasks than a common modern pocket calculator. In 1969, the N.A.S.A team that sent Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins to the moon had less power in their entire computer system than in my little handheld device.

The the advancement and power of modern technology is incredible. What is the genuine difference between a magical scrying glass and smart phone with internet access?


2 comments: