The Flying Ship

The Flying Ship

Monday, January 31, 2011

Good Luck

I carry a penny for good luck. I do not seriously believe that it is anything more than a disc of common metal. It will no more protect me from misfortune than leaving out milk for the fairies will decrease the chance of you getting a cold.

Other common lucky charms are a mutant clover, the cut off and stuffed foot of a rabbit, a piece of blue glass in the shape of an eye, and necklaces with dying Jesuses on them.

The truth is that none of these things will protect you from harm. Nothing of that nature will.

The truth is that the only thing protecting you from the rapists, murderers, thieves and crazy people is the thickness of your clothing and the reliability of your social circles. And the best defense against them is a well soled pair of shoes and a running start.

I do believe that God watches us. But I think it is a cruel thing for me to ask him to protect me when there are so many that pray to him for nothing more than clean water. And let's face it, their prayers aren't always answered.

Luck doesn't exist. A lucky penny won't help me open a really stuck jar. But my Swiss army knife possibly might.

Just a thought.








Location:My Bedroom

No comments:

Post a Comment